P2 was originally developed for the tech savvy to collaborate with the tech savvy at Automattic. If you have not seen Matt’s blog
post from over 10 years ago here is the link. https://ma.tt/2009/05/how-p2-changed-automattic/ – I suggest a quick look through the comments too.
Posts let you share long-form, formatted content — like project plans or documentation — directly in P2. They are displayed in reverse chronological order.
So as I stated P2 was originally developed for geek to geek collaborations where work needed to get done and information needed to be retrieved. The users were not afraid of a little technology in the P2 format. Now we are looking to make a larger part of the population aware of this tool and to be willing users. There are four types of users.
- Tech Inclined Creators/Team Leaders
- Non Tech Inclined Creators/Team Leaders
- Tech Inclined Users/Team Members/Collaborators
- Non Tech Inclined Users/Team Members/Collaborators
If P2 is made for groups 1 & 3 you simply need to convince the group to use P2, agree to a few protocols and it is go time.
I am technically somewhere between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 just to give you a perspective of where I am coming from personally and where I am in skill level.
The greatest growth of P2 will be when we solve the problem of making the interface easy for the #4 Group. Once they start to use P2 they will need some type of encouragement to continue to use it and participate in the discussions and the sharing of information.
If I ran the zoo I would be looking to add features to help the most novice of users get engaged. These features would have to be simple enough to implement for the #2 Group. Here is a list free float ideas off the top of my head.
- Have an “I Want to List” of buttons – I want to mention person/people in a post. I want to upload a file. I want to remind people of a meeting. I want to review my day’s work. I want to ask a question. I want to make a tag. I want to learn about something. I want to do a
search. This could be an optional list if the entire group is tech savvy.
Using search in P2 it's easy to come back to the right messages and files when you need to. Use the search field to find a post, page or file. P2+ comes with advanced search to narrow results using filters and modifiers.
- Make the 3 “Reply” buttons – “Reply” “Comment” “Ask a Question” “I have an Idea” – Maybe even make them a touch larger. In effect they are the SAME button but an end user might not think you can ask a question with the “Reply” Button.
- The Help feature will need some simplification someday. We are turning readers into contributors and this is where they need a simpler help feature assuming no real tech experience.
These are just a few rambling thoughts as I think about the rain coming in this afternoon to Seattle. I want to use this tool with our Golf Board, With Family, With my business partner (tech frustrated), with Study Groups and with clients when appropriate. What ideas do other people have out there to make things easier to get wider user engagement? #forum
You must be logged in to post a comment.