Hi there! We’re working on some updates to the top area of the The sidebar is the vertical column on the left side of P2 used for displaying information other than the main content. P2's sidebars contain widgets that an administrator can customize.
The sidebar is the vertical column on the left side of P2 used for displaying information other than the main content. P2's sidebars contain widgets that an administrator can customize.
Currently, a P2 space looks like this by default:
We’re making some changes so it looks like this:
As you can see we’re making two main modifications:
- The header image will be a bit wider taking the whole sidebar’s width, but we’ve adjusted it to make it more compact vertically. It’ll also always have the same height (144 pixels) regardless of the background’s image size.
- The site icon will appear right above the title. If you haven’t uploaded any icon, it’ll display the first letter of the space’s title.
Why are we doing these changes?
- Now that P2 supports multiple spaces, we’ve started leaning a lot more on each site’s icon to identify them. Up to this point we’ve relied on the header image as the main identifying element (alongside color) for P2s, but finding the ideal header image made customizing P2s a fairly laborious task. These changes relegate the header image to a decorative element (its original purpose), and brings the icon to the spotlight.
- Since header images could be of any size, the sidebar was very inconsistent between P2s. These changes will make different P2 spaces much more consistent: the menu will always be in the same position, the widgets will start at the same point, etc.
- Non-customized spaces will look much better, because they’ll have some identifying icon (the first letter of their title) by default. And they’ll look fantastic with just a tiny bit of customization.
Remember that you can change the colors, the header image and the icon in the Customizer. To access it, select “Customize this space” in the space’s options menu:
Tweaking the values in the Colors section will allow you to have a fairly unique space in just a few seconds:
If you’d like to add a background to the header, go to the Header image section and upload an image:
Finally, you can also customize the icon in the Name and description section:
As you can see, you’ll be able to have unique and identifiable P2 spaces with as little or as much effort as you’d like to dedicate.
We realize that these updates can make the sidebar of existing spaces look a bit broken, specially if you already had tall header images that will now be cut. We hope these instructions will make it quick and easy to update them, if needed. 🙌
Our plan is to release these changes tomorrow, and as always we hope you enjoy them. Please let us know if you have any issue or feedback!